Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s short stories and novellas featuring Sherlock Holmes became enduring classics of the mystery and detective genre. In honor of Doyle’s classic stories, we’ve gathered some of our favorite quotes from an array of different Sherlock Holmes stories.
- “I have heard, Mr. Holmes, that you can see deeply into the manifold wickedness of the human heart.” ― “The Adventure of the Speckled Band”
- “What one man can invent another can discover.”― “The Adventure of the Dancing Men”
- “The weak man becomes strong when he has nothing, for then only can he feel the wild, mad thrill of despair.”― “The White Company”
- “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes.”
― The Hound of the Baskervilles
- “My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence. These little problems help me to do so.”
― “The Red Headed League”
- “Work is the best antidote to sorrow, my dear Watson.”
― “The Adventure of the Empty House”
- “You see, but you do not observe.”
― A Scandal in Bohemia
- “How small we feel with our petty ambitions and strivings in the presence of the great elemental forces of Nature!”
― The Sign of Four
Do you have any other beloved Sherlock Holmes quotes? Share them in the comments below!