Every week in a competition of wits The New Yorker asks a question of the Twitter-verse. Its most recent contest asked followers to reply to the question, “What’s the worst job in literature?“
Although James Joyce’s proofreader appeared several times in the list, most tweeters stuck to the fictional theme. In the end the job The NY found worse than Hamlet’s motivational coach and Jay Gatsby’s poolboy was the winning entry “Narcissus’ girlfriend.” There were, however, so many gems within the bunch that we had to round up a Top Ten for you.
Think your job’s unbearable? Check out the hilarious responses below:
1. Captain Hook’s harpsichord key repairman
2. The reception committee for Godot
3. The chiropractor of Notre-Dame
4. Gregor Samsa’s exterminator
5. Public relations for Lisbeth Salander
6. Richard III’s physiotherapist
7. Hester Prynne’s stylist
8. Huck Finn’s elocutionist
9. Ophelia’s swim instructor
10. Oedipus’s shrink. Or ophthalmologist.